Monday, May 11, 2009

Bus Stop

"Mrs. Lewis?"
"Ms., its Ms. Lewis." Fanny Mae said.
"Oh, excuse me, well your friend is in the recovery room if you'd like to see him." the doctor said.
"Oh, no thanks. He's not a friend, I just wanted to make sure he ain't dead." Fanny Mae said as she turned to leave.
"Well, I think there were some police looking for you ma'am, did you talk to them?"
"Yes, its all straightened out, well I gotta get going, thanks for all your help." Fanny Mae turned and left the hospital, not looking back. She headed to the police station, where she had a meeting with the sheriff. On her way there, she passed the food mart where she saw a bald man overlooking the city. Nothing seemed affected by the previous night's incidents, the city was the same, except her. Upon arriving at the police station, she was warmly greeted by a tall man in a blue uniform.
"Ms. Lewis, lets get right to business. We have officially put it on record that this incident was a case of self defense, but we are still concerned for your safety. We would like to suggest that you get a restraining order, we don't want anything like this to happen again."
"I like the sound of that, I am just so scared. I never meant to hurt him, I- I just..." she welled up and began quietly sobbing.
"Ms. Lewis, Ms. Lewis. It's alright, it will all be okay. We understand your situation and we just want to keep you safe. Before we start on the paper work, I would like you to tell me exactly how you know this..." he looked down at the file, "Bert Huron. We need to know everything."
"Well to start, he is my ex-husband. We were high school sweethearts and incredibly happy. We stayed together, I didn't even go to college because I wanted to star our life together as soon as possible. Things were great for a while, then he started coming home drunk nearly every night. He would get so angry at little things and soon his anger turned into abuse. He would hit me. I would tell myself it was just the alcohol, but it only got worse an worse. The last time I saw him before yesterday was the day I told him I might be pregnant. He was so drunk and he was the maddest I've ever seen him. He hit me a few times until he passed out in his drunkenness. I decided that was enough, I couldn't take it anymore. I wasn't going to bring a baby into that toxic environment. But it turns out it was just a...a false alarm, I wasn't pregnant." She began to tear up again. "Anyways, that night I hopped on the next bus and took it to the furthest town from there. I ended up here. I don't know, I always run. It's just what I do, I didn't see a way out of my situation so I packed up and left.That's the way I've always been."
"Well don't feel like you need to run this time, he will be locked up for a while and we will get you a permanent restraining order. He won't be bothering you anymore." The sheriff said comfortingly.
"Well thank you so much, I appreciate all you have done for me." Fanny Mae stood to leave. She left the police station and headed toward her small apartment in the Jupiter apartment building. Once there, she immediately began packing all her stuff into her few suitcases. Her mind was blank, she didn't think of anything but the task of packing her valuables. After all her stuff was packed, Fanny Mae Lewis walked across the street and stood at the bus stop that she had arrived at only a little while ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment